Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Novel Writing

I'm finally working on my novel semi seriously. In that I'm participating in NaNoWriMo. What's that you ask? Well first it's super fun to say, NaNoWriMo. Try it. Second, it's National Novel Writing Month. It's a challenge to start and complete a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. Happens every year and it's totally crazy but I figure with a forced timeline and a few folks on Twitter holding me accountable I have to finish. (BTW if you want more info about NaNoWriMo check out their website here! You can also donate to the Office of Letters and Light who are the smart folks behind NaNoWriMo by sponsoring me here!) I restarted from scratch a novel I sorta started for Camp NaNoWriMo a few months ago. I started to hate it so I scraped it and began again. I told you it was crazy. I have some idea where it's all going but not idea how it's going to end. Absolutely. Freaking. Bananas. One should probably have an idea how the hell to end a novel before they start writing it...right? I don't know. I don't know anyone who writes professionally so I have no one to ask. I'm not going to stress about it now but if I get to 45,000 words and still have no idea how it ends problems will arise. (File that last sentence under "Understatement of the Year") I'm really excited about the process. I know from Camp NaNoWriMo that the first week is exciting the second and third week is where the lull starts. So I'm mildly panicked about that. I'm going to try to stay focused though. I would love to finish and have a working draft done.

I have some other stuff on my brain but I haven't quite edited my way out of that thought process so I'm going to keep my mouth shut on that. Just know the original title of this post was "Novel Writing and Bitching". You should probably expect a post called "Bitching about Novel Writing" in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment